Unclaimed Assets with CIBC Asset Management Inc.
The provinces of Quebec, Alberta, British Columbia and Manitoba passed legislation that requires CIBC Asset Management Inc., should it hold unclaimed assets where the current or last known address of the owner is in either Quebec, Alberta, BC, or Manitoba to make reasonable efforts to contact clients and their dealers and to allow owners to locate their unclaimed assets.
What is an unclaimed asset?
Cash, securities (i.e. stocks, bonds, mutual funds) or other receivables held in client accounts with a financial institution will be deemed to be unclaimed assets if certain time periods set out in the provincial legislation expire.
Where to go for more information:
Residents of Alberta
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Alberta residents should contact the Alberta Finance, Tax and Revenue Administration ( TRA ) directly at 780-427-3044 (for toll free service in Alberta, call 310-0000; then enter 780-427-3044 ) or visit Government of Alberta website .
- The applicable legislation is known as the Alberta Unclaimed Personal Property and Vested Property Act and Regulation. Both were enacted on September 1st 2008.
Residents of Quebec
- For information on how to make a claim or an appeal against an unclaimed asset, Quebec residents should contact Revenu Québec directly at 1 866 840-6939 or visit Revenu Quebec - Unclaimed property
- The applicable Quebec legislation is known as the Public Curator Act.
Residents of British Columbia
- For information about unclaimed assets held in investment and mutual fund accounts or an interest in an estate or trust, B.C. residents may contact the British Columbia Unclaimed Property Society at 1-888-662-2877 or www.bcunclaimedproperty.bc.ca.
- As well, for information with respect to unclaimed assets, or to make a claim or appeal against an unclaimed asset, B.C. residents may contact their mutual fund dealer or CIBC Asset Management Inc./Renaissance Investments at 1-888-888-3863.
- The applicable B.C. legislation is known as the Unclaimed Property Act.
Residents of Other Provinces
- Clients resident in other provinces or territories should contact their mutual fund dealer or CIBC Asset Management Inc./Renaissance Investments at 1-888-888-3863.